User Tools

    To create and edit articles, please register and log-in

Main Menu : categories & index etc.

Main menu
Click categories to expand

A-Z listingplugin-autotooltip__plain plugin-autotooltip_bigA-Z listing

This is an alphabetical index of all content pages.

Other categories



Also see

Importance Ratings
Curator's rationale
AI Policy

Twitter feed š¯•¸

Feeds + s.e.o. etc.
rss / xml feed
sitemap file
A-Z listing (archived)

Indexed under : Medicine / Diseases / G - L

Wikenigma - an Encyclopedia of Unknowns Wikenigma - an Encyclopedia of the Unknown


Glioblastomas are the second most prevalent form of brain cancer (after Meningiomas). The cancers are malignant and highly aggressive, and are hard to treat effectively (either with drugs, surgery of radiotherapy). It's estimated that more than 20,000 cases worldwide occur each year.

The cause of 95% of glioblastomas are unknown (the other 5% arising from low-grade Astrocytomas).

There are suggestions that glioblastomas might be linked to :

  • chemical exposure (pesticides etc)
  • viral infections (HHV-6 etc)
  • inappropriate diet
  • exposure to electromagnetic fields (or x-rays etc)
  • genetic predsiposition.

Further info . American Brain Tumor Association

Also see : Meningiomasplugin-autotooltip__plain plugin-autotooltip_bigMeningiomas

Meningiomas are a category of primary brain tumour. They are slow growing, and often symptom-free. They form in the meninges - the thin layer of tissues which surround the brain - rather than in the brain itself.

It's estimated that roughly one in a thousaā€¦

    Please share this page to help promote Wikenigma !

Dear reader : Do you have any suggestions for the site's content?

Ideas for new topics, and suggested additions / corrections for older ones, are always welcome.

If you have skills or interests in a particular field, and have suggestions for Wikenigma, get in touch !

Or, if you'd like to become a regular contributor . . . request a login password. Registered users can edit the entire content of the site, and also create new pages.

( The 'Notes for contributors' section in the main menu has further information and guidelines etc.)

Automatic Translation

You are currently viewing an auto-translated version of Wikenigma

Please be aware that no automatic translation engines are 100% accurate, and so the auto-translated content will very probably feature errors and omissions.

Nevertheless, Wikenigma hopes that the translated content will help to attract a wider global audience.

Show another (random) article

Further resources :