Birth defects - sometimes severe - occur at a rate of roughly 1 per 33 births worldwide. Which currently equates to nearly 8 million per year.
Of these, approximately 20% can be accounted for (genetic defects, smoking, viruses and bacteria, obesity, stress etc) the remaining 80% have unknown causes.
The figures come from a five-year large-scale 2017 study :
The overall conclusion remains that a specific cause cannot yet be determined for most birth defects, underscoring the current gaps in knowledge and the challenge of primary prevention.
Etiology and clinical presentation of birth defects: population based study BMJ 2017;357:j2249
Ideas for new topics, and suggested additions / corrections for old ones, are always welcome.
If you have skills or interests in a particular field, and have suggestions for Wikenigma, get in touch !
Or, if you'd like to become a regular contributor . . . request a login password. Registered users can edit the entire content of the site, and also create new pages.
( The 'Notes for contributors' section in the main menu has further information and guidelines etc.)
You are currently viewing an auto-translated version of Wikenigma
Please be aware that no automatic translation engines are 100% accurate, and so the auto-translated content will very probably feature errors and omissions.
Nevertheless, Wikenigma hopes that the translated content will help to attract a wider global audience.